Sunday, December 6, 2009

Happy Times!

Thanks to all who turned out at Rachel's Cafe on Saturday night to help us celebrate 5 years of Women Writing for(a)Change in Bloomington. We had quite a crowd to celebrate all the words and stories and poems (not to mention laughter and goodwill) that have been generated through the years.

We passed out our new anthology, ate some wonderful food served by Rachel herself, read poetry and listened to several alums of our programs read from the new book. Veda, pictured right, read her poem Where I'm from modeled from a poem by George Ella Lyon of the same name

As I laughed and listened, I couldn't help but fall in love with the community we have built. The women in our circles are remarkable in their diversity. We are young and old; gay and straight; black and white; amateurs and professionals. Our common love for words and storytelling and our newfound love for each other keeps us in each other's circles of care. I can't imagine a better group of people with whom to spend my time.



Pictured above are Beth, myself and Lauren, editors of the book and founder of Women Writing for (a) Change in Bloomington.



One of the most exciting parts of the evening was people's joy at the book that came out. Women milled about the party, new books in hand asking for signatures from each other. It was like yearbook signing in high school. I wished I had a witty quip to write under my name, but truthfully all I could think of to say was, "Thank you."


















Pictured below is Steph as she steps off the dais after reading.
It is amazing how words create memories and intimacies between writers and readers. Between friends.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Amy and Lauren, AND BETH, for a wonderful evening, a beautiful publication, and five amazing years of transformation in the lives of so many women in Bloomington. The venue, the program, the food, everything was just perfection!

    MKP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I echo Mary's thanks. This WWF(a)C is a magical thing and it was a magical night! Steph

    ReplyDelete