Sunday, April 7, 2013

Brand New Day




This Van Morrison song has long been an inspiration to me…

Brand New Day
Songwriter:  Van Morrison

When all the dark clouds roll away
And the sun begins to shine
I see my freedom from across the way
And it comes right in on time
Well it shines so bright and it gives so much light
And it comes from the sky above
Makes me feel so free makes me feel like me
And lights my life with love

Chorus:
And it seems like and it feels like
And it seems like yes it feels like
A brand new day, yeah
A brand new day oh

I was lost and double crossed
With my hands behind my back
I was longtime hurt and thrown in the dirt
Shoved out on the railroad track
I’ve been used, abused and so confused
And I had nowhere to run
But I stood and looked
And my eyes got hooked
On that beautiful morning sun
Chorus
And the sun shines down all on the ground
Yeah and the grass is oh so green
And my heart is still and I’ve got the will
And I don't really feel so mean
Here it comes, here it comes
0 here it comes right now
And it comes right in on time
Well it eases me and it pleases me
And it satisfies my mind

Here it comes right in time, the ferry to the Isle of Mull. Bringing a brand new day into my life. And when I step on that ferry, I know it is taking me home, to where I’m meant to be, maybe where I’ve always been.

As I stand on the upper deck in the misty rain, all the past abuse, hurt and confusion is blown off me. Washing me clean. Then, literally all the dark clouds roll away and the sun comes shining through. And I can see across the way. The gulls are hovering over the deck railing, their raucous calls seem to say, “Come on, come on. This is the right way!”

Everything seems so clear for the first time in my life. I am doing what I need to do; I am going where I need to be. I am showing up for MY life. My life, not someone else’s version of what they think my life should be. I’m writing my script now. Clean slate writing. It’s an adventure. Just show up and see what happens. How will I fit in here working at the Isle of Mull Hotel? Quite well. Will I make friends? Lifetime.

It feels good to be awake and not sleepwalking through life. There is a rhythm to the ferry’s engines. They are playing my tune. My spine is aligning to the pulse in the heart of the ferry.

I stand straighter, ready to meet what may come my way during my three months on Mull. I have had a two-week sojourn in Scotland as I traveled around looking for a job. And it feels like every step along the way has been guided to get md where a job would be waiting for me. The Scots are a mystical people and they appear when you need them the most to help you along your way. They never failed me. And then there were the crows that were always there, cawing when some synchronicity was about to happen.

The ferry is nearing the dock in Craignure where the manageress of the hotel is meeting me to introduce me to the staff and get me settled in my quarters. Outside my window is a rhododendron bush as tall as a house. I will keep a jar of its lush purple blossoms in my room for as long as they bloom in May, the first step to making this room my own.

On this brand new day I’m 49 years old and for the first time in my life I don’t feel like I need to be somewhere else. My gypsy soul has found its home.

Rebekah for The Poplar Grove Muse






No comments:

Post a Comment