Tuesday, June 23, 2015

I Am Gannet

Photo: Seabirds /VisitScotland

I Am Gannet

I am gannet, seabird,
soaring with my gray,
white and yellow-feathered body
off the volcanic shore of Iona.
The sparkling waters
in Martyrs Bay
tempt and tease me
as they race over
their bounty 
hidden deep below the surface.

I climb skyward high
over the bouncing waves
as they strive for shore.
Now. Turn. Spiral.
Beak first, speeding straight down
wings sleek along my body,
needle-like.

Capture one shiny silver fish.
Burst up through the waves.
Slowly and steadily I balance
on top of the water. One gulp.
Fish gone, sustenance begins.
As Im being nourished
rich nutrients coursing through me,
my mind clears, my eyesight sharpens

I open my beak to call out gratitude.

Rebekah for The Poplar Grove Muse

No comments:

Post a Comment